When searching for a cheap radar detector, you may find the Escort Passport S55 somewhere. While this brand includes a lot of popular options in its collection of radar detectors, this particular model may not be familiar to you. That’s because it is overshadowed by more modern equipment.
Offered as an affordable variant of the Escort X80, this radar detector is more appealing for those on a budget. The Passport S55 uses an old platform that has quite a few drawbacks. But for the lower price, you should be ready to make certain compromises, right?
Nevertheless, this device comes with many features and functions that make it a good choice. Aside from user-friendly features, it also provides reliable performance.
The S55 can pick up and scan long-range signals reliably. That way, it will help you avoid facing speeding tickets. This is particularly helpful for people who don’t pay too much attention to speed limit road signs.
In the Escort Passport S55 review, we will walk you through all the important facts about this product to help you with your decision. Let’s dive in.
Escort Passport S55 Specs
- Frequency Range: 10.53 GHz / 24.15 GHz / 34.70 GHz
- Frequency Variation: ± 25 MHz / ± 100 MHz / ± 1.30 GHz / 33 MHz
- Laser Wavelength: 0 mil
- Shadow Technology: VG-2 Immunity
- Operating Mode: Highway/City
- Detection Area: Front
- Display Type: LED
- Alert Type: Audio/Visual
- Item Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.7 x 1.2 inches
- Item Weight: 11.2 ounces
- Warranty: 1-year limited warranty
Escort Passport S55 Features
- Radar and laser detection: Through a V-Tuned receiver, the Passport S55 receives long-range signals of different radar bands like K, X, and Superwide Ka. This is possible thanks to DSP (Digital Signal Processing) that plays a role in maximizing the range. What’s more, this device cannot be detected by the VG2.
- Sound alerts: Taking eyes off the road when driving to read the alerts is very risky. That’s why this radar detector employs sound alerts. Once a band has been detected, you’ll hear an audible beeping sound.
- AutoSenitivity Mode: Although there’s no GPS, the S55 lessens false alarms and identifies speed traps with its own system, called Auto-Sensitivity mode. The false alarms are weeded out from other signals with TSR (Travel Signal Rejection). However, the Auto-Sensitivity mode can’t differentiate some harmless signals.
- AutoMute: You are likely to face a lot of signals when driving in a city area. This convenient feature can help you lower the alert volume and make them less annoying.
- EZ Fine Tuning: Take advantage of adjustments to set it up according to your speed and driving style. This can be used for things like Power-On indication, volume level, and brightness. The device can even be adjusted to detect only particular radar bands and lasers.
- Red Matrix Display: This radar detector comes with a matrix display that contains 280 LEDs. As a result, everything from alerts to signal strength is clearly displayed and highly visible. The text display is available, too.
- High-resolution modes: There are 3 different meter modes offered by this radar detector —
Standard, ExpertMeter, and SpecDisplay. Choose the mode based on how you want the readings to be interpreted so that it best suits your preferences.
Escort Passport S55 Design
Maybe this radar detector seemed modern when released. However, it now looks a little outdated and simple when you compare it to the latest models on the market.
The Escort Passport S55 is made of sturdy plastic to be difficult to break. Just like most other radar detectors, it comes with a mounting bracket consisting of magnets and sticky suction cups.
But if you don’t want to rely on this mount, you can always buy a stronger one that can support the unit reliably.
With regard to ease of use, this device is designed with simplicity in mind. It can be adjusted easily based on different needs and preferences without having to read the user manual.
For instance, you can quickly adjust volume, brightness (there are 4 options), radar bands, and type of laser at the press of a button. Also, data can be displayed in different ways. Simply switch between Standard, ExpertMeter, and SpecDisplay.
The Passport S55 lacks a few things that modern radar detectors incorporate as well. It doesn’t have an audio jack, meaning average audio alerts is the only thing you can rely on. A USB port is also not included.
While these parts are not necessary, they can make it easier for you to use the device. Overall, the Escort Passport S55 is a well-designed product, but there is room for improvement.
How Does It Work?
You might be wondering how this device works. That can help you get a better understanding of its features and get the most out of them.
The Escort Passport S55 operates by catching the speed gun radio signals. In addition to this simple yet effective technology, police can also detect speeding by implementing more modern technology which utilizes light waves.
Don’t worry, the S55 can detect these modern speed guns as well. It can do a good job of picking up and detecting long-range signals. Once a signal has been picked up by your radar detector, you will get alert immediately.
Since there is a wide range of sources of light and radio signals, you may end up with false alerts occasionally. Even though the Passport S55 comes with AutoSenitivity Mode to reduce the number of false alerts, they cannot be stopped completely.
User Feedback & Reviews: What People Said About the Escort Passport S55
As always, we are letting you know what customers think about this product. Let’s start with complaints.
Most Common Complaints
- Not GPS- and Bluetooth-enabled: Unlike the Passport X80, the S55 is lacking GPS and Bluetooth. So, there is no possibility of connecting to the Escort Live. Other users can use this platform to identify laser guns, red-light cameras, and speed traps.
- Unable to separate K-band signals: The modern cars often come with BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) system that relies on K-band frequency. As you may know, that frequency is used by police radar guns. That’s why the S55 doesn’t identify police radar signals sometimes. Likewise, you may experience false alarms sometimes.
Most Common Praises
- Solid design interface: Most importantly of all, the Passport S55 is a robust and reliable device. The backlit display features an intuitive interface. Users find that signal and digital numbers are clear and can be seen easily both in the dark and in direct sunlight.
- Good audio quality: The S55 boasts clear and crisp sound quality. In case of potential threats, you will receive audio alerts in the form of a warning sound. People said that this helps them stay focused on the road. Mute and unmute the sound with the touch of a button.
- Competitively priced: Let’s face it, most customers opt for this radar detector because of its fantastic price. The good news is that it can be purchased at a discounted price. Despite some drawbacks, it still provides very good performance for the money.
How Much Does the Escort Passport S55 Cost?
As mentioned earlier, this device is actually a version of the Passport X80, but it is a bit cheaper. You can expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $300. It is even less expensive than a speeding ticket.
So, if you are looking for an affordably priced radar detector, the Passport S55 is a good choice. But keep in mind that you will get the basic features. If you need a radar detector that offers a lot of bells and whistles, look for other more expensive models.
While radar protection is fairly good, as the S55 detects police laser/radar signals pretty well, you may get false alarms from time to time. Well, you get what you pay for.