A large number of such incidents occur every year, and they leave behind destruction and trauma. With a good fire extinguisher, the risk is minimized by at least 50% (Source). The extinguisher minimizes risk by allowing you to suppress garage fire until help arrives.
Many people overlook putting a fire extinguisher in the garage. However, putting a fire extinguisher in the garage is very important since the garage is a separate structure from the house (most of the time).
Let’s review the top fire extinguishers for your garage or shop.
Best Fire Extinguisher For Garage
1. H3R Performance HG100C HalGuard Chrome Clean Agent Fire Extinguisher — Best Overall
The H3R HG100C is considered the best fire extinguisher for cars due to two key reasons. For one, the extinguishing agent does not cause thermal shock to the car’s electronics. Second, it is gentle on any vehicle’s surface and will not cause damage to the exterior.
The H3R’s liquid gas can easily reach places that are difficult to reach. Consequently, it will completely extinguish the fire. Also, the extinguisher’s Halotron 1 agent gives you a discharge of up to 8-feet. That facilitates safety because you will not need to get close to the fire to put it out.
The extinguisher is compact and lightweight which makes it easy to use and it also facilitates user convenience. Note that care has been taken to ensure it does no harm to your vision when you use it.
The H3R is approved by EPA which makes it environment-friendly. It is also refillable which helps save money because refilling is less expensive than buying a new extinguisher. Finally, the H3R has a chrome finish which guarantees a classy look. As a result, irrespective of where you mount it, it will not spoil the aesthetic of your vehicle.
- You can use this fire extinguisher without damaging your eyes
- It is reasonably priced
- It is reliable and is not prone to jamming
- It occupies minimal space thanks to its compact nature
- The H3R HG100C also all the parts you need to mount it in your car or truck
- It is dual purpose: you can use it in your car and at home
2. Kidde 21005779 Pro 210 Car Fire Extinguisher — The Best for Class B Fires
It comes with an easy to read gauge which makes it easy to establish if it is ready to use. Its cylinder is made of aluminum and it is resistant to rust. There are clear and concise instructions on how to use the fire extinguisher.
Thanks to the 13 to 15 seconds discharge time, the Kidde Pro 210 is quick. Also, it discharges up to 15-feet and has an operating pressure is 100 PSI. That makes the extinguisher incredibly powerful.
- It comes with instructions
- It is easy to use
- It has multi-protection which ensures any fire remains under control
- It has a discharge range of between 10 and 15-feet which makes it safe to use
- It comes in four 4lb canisters which are easy to refill
- It comes in a 100% metal valve design
- It is multipurpose
3. Amerex 240, 2.5 Gallon Water Class A Fire Extinguisher — Ideal for Class A Fires
It comes complete with a wall bracket so that you can use it at home. It has a penetrating effect of up to 55-feet and is designed with a hose and nozzle for ease of operation.
- It is durable because the canisters are made of stainless steel. You can therefore use it for a long time.
- It is user friendly
- It does not leave any powder residue behind
- It is especially popular with RV users as it is the most convenient fire extinguisher for an RV
- With a UL 2A rating, it is safe for Class A fires
- It conforms to the ANSI/UL standards and complies with the NFPA 10 Standard for ISO use
- The chemical fee fire extinguisher ensures that your barbeque fire does not become uncontrollable
- The canister is handed to you empty. You have to fill it up with water.
- This one is not recommended for use on an electrical wiring fire.
4. Fire Command Car Fire Extinguisher — The Best Multi-Purpose Extinguisher
This device suppresses flames fast and keeps prevents fires from getting out of hand. The canisters are filled with foam spray which smothers and clings ensuring that the fire is put out the first time.
With a quick-aim actuator, this device is the perfect one for car use as well as the workplace. The container is made from aluminum which makes it easy to carry. You can also use this extinguisher in your boat.
5. H3R Performance MX100C Fire Extinguisher — Made out of Dry Chemicals
This is a dry chemical fire extinguisher with canisters which are filled with sodium bicarbonate. It weighs 1.0 lb. It has some aesthetic value too as it looks good mounted on your car. The device works well against flames.
It is suitable for use on any flammable fire such as gas. It is not a good conductor of electricity.
- It is safe to use.
- It has a steel strap that contains a mountain bracket.
- It can discharge up to 8-feet.
- Its structure is made of steel which makes it durable and it has a metal valve that you can use for refills.
- It is easy to use as well as to install.
- The chrome finish gives it a nice touch and its compact size makes it easy to mount anywhere.
What to Consider When Buying a Fire Extinguisher
The Types of Fire Extinguishers
These three fire extinguishers are available for cars:
- Class A Type: these ones are for putting out fabric, wood and paper fires.
- Class B: these ones are used on highly flammable and combustible liquids.
- Class C: fires caused by gasses are put out with Class C fire extinguishers.
Naturally, you want the best extinguisher for your car. One made of dry powder is your best bet. This is because fire extinguishers such as these such as these are classified under Class ABC and are therefore suitable to use on any type of fire.
On the other hand, you can opt for an extinguisher with a Class BC; that is if you cannot find one with the ABC rating.
Something else you need to consider is the size of your car fire extinguisher. This will naturally depend on the size of your car. For a small vehicle, the best one would be one that weighs approximately 2 lbs. If you own a van or a large vehicle, you can handle one that weighs between 2 lbs. and 5 lbs.
A 2 lb. fire extinguisher is easy to handle inside the car. You can store your extinguisher in the trunk or somewhere you can reach it easily.
It is also important to know the car fire extinguisher brands you have to choose from. Consider the following:
First Alert is one of the oldest and most trustworthy brands. For High quality fire equipment, you can be sure that these manufacturers will deliver. They have been on the ground since 1969 and are famed for being the first company to manufacture a residential fire alarm. First Alert has been the best sellers of fire equipment since 1970.
The company has many firsts such as the first company to come up with a plastic head fire extinguisher and the first to create a sealed battery with a smoke alarm. It is accompany known for maintaining and improving its legacy and always putting the clients first.
This company has a history of keeping people safe with their many innovative devices. Their reputation for putting forth high quality fire extinguishers and other products that promote safety with regard to fires.
Their products are legally certified in more than 50 countries around the world. They have effortlessly outperformed they competition with the quality of their brand.
This one has been manufacturing fire equipment since 1971. It has grown into an international brand and produces the largest number of hand-held extinguishers as well as wheeled models.
Their extinguishers are both for domestic and commercial use. A hand held extinguisher is very handy in the car.
This company produces handy firefighting equipment for fighting small fires. Their innovative aerosol can designs are geared towards coming up with an even handier device. This is the company that is responsible for creating the Fire Gone Fire Suppressant.
The small canister is easy to clean out with a damp cloth or a sponge. It can be used safely on a car and will not damage the exterior.
This is another leading international company that has been manufacturing firefighting equipment since 1969. They have worked their way up to being a top manufacturer and distributor of fire safety equipment and devices.
One of the products you can buy from them is a hand held wheeled fire extinguisher. Every one of their products is listed by UL. They have also met the approval of the government and ASME.
Why Do You Need a Car Fire Extinguisher?
You need this device because your vehicle can develop mechanical problems and burst into flames any time. A majority of the time you will not be anywhere close to firefighters and you can ensure that you have the fire under control before they get to you.
It also helps to control the sense of panic you and your passengers might feel when such an incident occurs. This is because you are able to quickly bring the fire under control.
What causes the fire may not be immediately known. The most important and urgent need is to put the fire out. Additionally, the fire extinguisher can come in handy by using it to prevent the fire from starting in the first place. Once you smell the burning, you can quickly identify the area of trouble and douse it before a flame erupts.
Ready To Buy The Best Car Fire Extinguishers?
A car fire extinguisher is the one item that you cannot travel without. In addition, it must be refilled and you must ensure that it is working fine before you embark on your road trip.
One most important thing to consider obviously is your safety as well as that of your passengers. You also want to minimize damage to your car as much as you can before the firefighters finally get to you. Therefore, ensure that you buy the best car fire extinguisher you can find.